Sheep sorter from Quebec
Counting sheeps may put anyone asleep but for a sheep farmer sorting sheep a real madness and commercial solutions are too expensive. Therefore one developed a new solution powered by the FileMaker® platform and 24U Phidgets Plug-In!!
Our customer Jacques Kirouac from Quebec developed a new solution Sheep Sorter which works on FileMaker Pro with Phidgets 1017 relay using 24U Phidgets Plug-In.
- Price – this Sheep Sorter is cheaper than other commercial solutions
- Sorting animals by many different attributes
- Age of the animal
- Quantity which farmer wants to send in a given area
- Possibility of additional features such as proximity reader
How does this solution work?
Sheep’s tag is read and input into the electronic scale. Than info is sent to Jacque’s flock management app written in FileMaker Pro.
The app reads the info, extracts the record for weighted sheep, calculates the weight gain, records the weight in the appropriate area. The app selects the door to open to transfer the sheep to the appropriate location.
The scale has 6 automated air controlled doors all controlled by the FileMaker application: one entry door, one main exit door and 4 “sorting doors” that are working according to the instructions given in the application. Each sorting door is activated depending upon a mix of variables: age of the animal, weight, sex and the quantity which farmer wants to send in a given area controlled by a given door.
The first 3 doors are such programmed, and the 4th door is an exit for the animals that either do not meet any of the criteria chosen by the producer or if an animal has received a medication for which the set aside period is not completed (its in the medical recor of he animal in the database).
24U Phidgets Plug-In sends appropriate information to the appropriate door for which the conditions are met, and I also control the synchronization between entry and exit doors, timers etc. Jacques has added a proximity reader, also controlled by our plugin to initiate the timers only when the sheep has started exiting the scale…
Where the solution is offered?
Sheep Sorter is offered to all subscribers of the EweManage French and English sheep flock management software in Quebec and Ontario, soon in other Canadian Provinces as well.
What is 24U Phidgets Plug-In?
24U Phidgets Plug-In allows FileMaker Pro to interact with various Phidgets boards to let your solution control physical devices and physical devices to control your solution.
- Read and write RFID tags to track goods, assets and people
- Capture sensor data to collect environmental data such as temperature or force
- Control servo and stepper motors to automate moving parts of robots and machines
- Read digital and analog inputs to control your solution by physical controls
- Set digital and analog outputs to switch lights and other electrical devices
- Display text on an LCD display to create custom user interface such as cashbox
- Control phidgets over network to use sensors and devices located farther from your computer
- New Compatibility with VINT lets you use the latest Phidgets devices
The popular 24U Phidgets Plug-In is available here.